Friday, January 2, 2009

Mbira





The Mbira.



Now, married life is really great - and I honestly don't think it's boring, which may have been the impression I left in my last blog. I only meant that I'm usually at a lost as to what to write about when it comes to newlywed life since there's too much, in that it all seems interesting to me and maybe just babble to the rest of you.



So, moving onto something that I know is interesting to everyone - what I want for my Birthday. I know, I know. .. it's immature to write up a list of things you want for you Birthday. I'm usually just content that people care to recognize my birthday let alone buy me a gift - and I'm not really making a list to notify people of what to buy me. It's more about filling my fancy and sharing with you what I think is cool, even if I eventually want to acquire these things.



As you see above there is an instrument most widely used in traditional Zimbabwe-ian music(yeah, don't know what the right title is). It is called the Mbira and I've been able to play around with one at a friend's home. Within the past couple of years I've acquainted myself with West African and Afro-Caribbean dancing, and with that has comes an appreciation for their culture, music, and instruments. The Mbira (I think it also goes by a different name too) is awesome though. I don't know what good besides enjoying this instrument will bring to me if I buy it - but yeah, if you don't know what I mean you should buy one and I'll come over and enjoy it with you. Deal? Okay.

0 comments: